The importance of water according to Ayurveda
We are made of water and it is one of the most vital elements for all life on earth.
In Ayurveda water is used to purify the body internally and externally. Drinking water is one of the easiest ways to detoxify your body while showering and bathing daily cleanses your aura.
While we all know how good water is for our health, many of us do not drink enough H2O or drink it correctly.
How do I get the most out of water according to Ayurveda?
- Everyone should drink 2-3 liters of water every day. Some Dosha types need more water than others—Pitta types will generally be more ‘thirsty’ compared to Kapha and Vata types. Not sure what your predominant Dosha is? Take our Dosha Quiz.
- Get into the habit of drinking a large glass of water in the morning after completing your morning ritual to start cleansing your body of toxins and then sip water throughout the day as you feel thirsty.
- Avoid drinking excess amounts of water 1- 1 1/2 hours before and after your meals—drinking too much water before your meal can affect your appetite, and too much afterward can decrease your digestive fire.
- Limit water intake before bed as this can affect your sleep and have you getting up multiple times throughout the night.
- Drink lukewarm or room temperature water—avoid ice and chilled water which can inhibit your digestive fire, reducing the nutrients you get from your food.
- To know if you are drinking enough water keep an eye on the color of your urine—if it is pale or clear you are drinking enough to cleanse your body, if it is dark yellow you have a build-up of toxins and need to drink more water.
Benefits of drinking enough water:
- feel alert throughout the day—our brains are made of water & dehydration can affect our ability to focus
- aids in weight loss—sometimes when we feel hungry we are actually thirsty, before reaching for a snack, drink some water which may satisfy any cravings
- a daily mini detox —by drinking enough water you will successfully eliminate toxins through your urine and sweat
- hydrated, glowing skin—often when we have dry skin or look sallow it’s because we aren’t drinking enough water, water is the cheapest and most effective tool in your beauty toolbox, it can even keep wrinkles at bay!
- keep your body feeling young—drinking water lubricates your muscles and joints allowing you to be more mobile and active
- relieve headaches and migraines —if you feel a headache coming on, sip some water, headaches and migraines are often caused by dehydration
- keeps you regular—drinking water and being properly hydrated aids your digestive system and helps reduce any constipation.
Aparna K. BAMS, MD, PhD
Aparna is one of the few specialists worldwide with a PhD in Ayurveda. Born into an Ayurvedic family which operates a traditional Ayurvedic Panchakarma hospital in Kerala, India, she grew up observing her father, the renowned Dr Padmanabhan.