Digestion Tips for the Doshas
The concept of Agni is essential in understanding the digestion process in Ayurveda.
These digestion tips will keep your digestive fire (Agni) strong according to your Dosha.
Are you a Vata, Pitta or Kapha? Not sure? Take our Dosha quiz.
- Choose warm and cooked food
- Use ghee, olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil for cooking and seasoning the food
- Avoid dry crackers, raw salads, chips, deep fried foods
- If you eat bread, go for multi grains/banana bread/raisin bread + ghee + avocado which makes it unctuous
- Fruit should be eaten in the morning
- Drink warm water often or cumin + fennel herbal tea
- Make sure your bowel movements are regular, going at least once daily. Include more fibres like vegetables, leafy greens, and soups in your diet to increase intestinal movements.
- Choose lukewarm foods, not too hot or cold
- Avoid spicy, deep-fried foods, sour creams, sour yoghurt, red chillies, and too much garlic and soya sauces in your cooking
- Add Italian herbs as spices like cilantro, mint, basil, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, oregano and curry leaves
- Drink warm water often, can be boiled with cardamom to reduce heartburn and gastritis
- Avoid long hours of fasting, eat small salads as snacks
- Golden milk is a perfect option for Pitta types
- Include the concept of rainbow eating by adding coloured vegetables to your meals which are rich in antioxidants
- Choose warm foods
- Avoid high fatty foods
- Ginger turmeric teas help to improve the digestion
- Reduce cheese, yoghurt, banana, watermelon, mangoes
- Choose vegetable juice in the mornings rather than fruits and yoghurt
- Include more proteins like lean meat and lentils, and eat fewer carbohydrates
- Choose quinoa and oats rather than rice.
Dr. Resmi V. Rajagopal, BAMS, MS (Ayurveda Gynec), PGDYN
Dr. Resmi is a versatile Ayurvedic physician from Kerala, India, specializing in women’s health and pregnancy care, therapeutic yoga, and nutrition.